This is the third update for the simian photo server project. I finally got the server to generate thumbnails and preview images without crashing my laptop, and now sps displays the actual thumbnails, and the selected picture in the details view. Also visible is the exif data for each picture. Plus, sps now manages camera raw images as well. Most of this is thanks to the wonderful imagemagick library, which will need to be installed on the target machine.
This is a few hours over the two weeks I set out for myself. But overall, I'm happy with what I built. This is how things look like at the moment.
I like simian photo server enough that I intend to keep working on it and start using it as my daily driver. There are a few things that need to be done before that happens though. Some unit tests, some bug fixes and some feature enhancements and we could have a very basic picture management solution. Plus I plan to use passport.js to get authentication into the system.
Finally, I will be writing another article where I will pop the hood of sps and describe its internals. In the meantime, feel free to check out the code and play with it. It is located at https://github.com/akshat1/simian-photo-server.